Basil Vegetable Strata
- Makes 8 servings
- Prep & Chilling Time: 40 Minutes
- Standing & Bake Time: 1 Hour
- 3 Teaspoons Canola Oil, Divided
- ¾ Pound Sliced Fresh Mushrooms
- 1 Cup Finely Chopped Sweet Onion
- 1 Large Sweet Red Pepper, Cut into Strips
- 1 Large Sweet Yellow Pepper, Thin Strips
- 1 Medium Leek, White Portion/Chopped
- ½ Teaspoon Salt
- ½ Teaspoon Pepper
- 10 Slices Whole Wheat Bread, 1-inch Pieces
- 1-½ Cups Shredded Part-Skim Mozzarella Cheese
- ¼ Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 8 Large Eggs
- 4 Large Egg Whites
- 2-½ Cups Fat-Free Milk
- ¼ Cup Chopped Fresh Basil
- Place in a large skillet, Heat 1 Teaspoons oil over medium heat Add Mushrooms; Cook and Mix until Tender, 8-10 Minutes. Remove From pan. Place to the side.
- In the same pan, heat 1 Teaspoon oil over Medium heat. Add Onion; Cook and Mix until Golden Brown, 6-8 Minutes. Remove from Pan add it to the Mushrooms.
- Add oil to the pan again. Add peppers, leek,salt & pepper; Cook and Mix Under the Leek is tender, 6-8 Minutes. Mix into Mushrooms and Onions Mix.
- In a 13×9-in Baking Dish Coated with Cooking Spray, layer half of each; Bread Cubes, Veggie Mix, Mozzarella cheese and Parmesan Cheese. Repeat Layers. Then in a larger bowl, Whisk together eggs,egg whites and milk until blended; pour over layers. Sprinkle the basil on top. Refrigerate, Cover it, then keep it in the fridge overnight.
- Next day. Preheat the oven to 350०. Remove Strata from the refrigerator while the oven heats up.
- Bake and Cover. 50 Minutes. Then Bake Uncovered until lightly browned and the toothpick in the middle comes out clean. 10-15 minutes before serving.