- 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 small garlic cloves, finely grated
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups basil leaves
- 2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil, more for a smoother pesto
- 3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese, optional
Preheat oven to 350°. Toast pine nuts on a rimmed baking sheet, mix it up halfway through, until golden brown, 5–7 minutes. Move it to a food processor and let it cool. Pulse after adding the cheese and garlic until it is finely ground (approximately 1 minute). Add in your fresh, homegrown basil. With the motor running, add oil in a slow and steady stream until pesto is mostly smooth, with just a few flecks of green, about 1 minute. Season with salt.